Sunday, January 13, 2008

Speed and gas

I got a yellow motorcycle. It is great. Here is an obvious consideration: the faster you go, the more gas/petrol/benzin you consume. Since I started to know my “jihad” motorbike, a full tank is not enough anymore to go to the forest and back. The gauge is deceivingly broken, irrespectively stopping at half-tank. The first time I finished the gas it was a miracle of smoothness: at full speed the engine coughed a bit and then went dead. Without losing any speed, I drifted silently for a very long stretch and stopping precisely in front of a benzin seller (they have small wooden shelves and sell petrol of rather poor quality in dirty flasks). The second time, I was wondering whether I should actually put some more gas before running dry again, and noticed how few sellers were open. I thought about the price of oil, wondered about the latest international developments, and that is when the engine stopped again. I asked around (people trying to conceal their surprise to be in front of a disheveled white person speaking Indonesian) and started walking toward a “gas station”. But sure enough, after 40m (and right at the base of an unpleasantly steep hill) a guy (automatically becoming an “ojek driver”) offered to go and get the petrol for me. Another man invited me in the shade of his shop to wait, offered conversation and then a funnel, and 5 minutes and 3$ later I was on the road again. Very nice people, and lucky connections.

No comments: