Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Dialogue

(Deciding where to go to have dinner):
- Anton (former WCS staff, now graduate student in Australia): “we should let Opo decide, the big boss”
- Opo (station manager, Way Canguk Research Station): “no, no, Luca will decide, powerful Mafioso!” (laughing and bowing until he sits on the floor)
- Luca: “oh, noo, the boss Opo must decide” (jumping off the chair to lower myself on the ground as well).

The movements (more than the words) were funny and touching. We continued the discussion on the floor.

It is fascinating the interest Indonesians have over Mafia: the angkots (small colorful minivans that scuttle around, in large numbers, in every city) carry names such as “Don Vito”, I have been asked countless questions on details such as the power structure, the history, the names of the most famous bosses (much more than I was prepared to answer..). Great excitement at the news that the famous “Provenzano” was finally captured. When asked why would I want to spend one year in the forest, I answered that I was wanted by the police and needed a safe place to hide for a while. Now it all makes sense.

No comments: