Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The river

When I visited the forest, in the summer, the river seemed slow and peaceful. Now that I am about to start my project, I am told "well, then there will be those 3 months (rainy season) where you won't be able to collect data..". I thought it was just people who didn't want to get wet, but now it appears that the river turns into a roaring angry mass of water carrying huge logs and debris, threatening to flood the camp itself.
Hmm.
The idea of a small boat, like I did (with mixed results) in Thailand wouldn't work.
WCS doesn't want to build anything "lasting", because the day they quit the project they don't want to leave something that could be used by poachers. Which makes sense.
The idea of two sets of lianas doesn't appeal to all the people involved.
I am hoping to build a tibetan bridge (is this the name? three ropes or cables, you walk on one and hold on to the other 2). We will see how it goes.

No comments: