Sunday, November 4, 2007

Swimming with Daus


In an (unsuccessful) attempt to open up possibilities of finding a girlfriend for Daus, and to have some rest myself, I proposed a trip to the sea. After some consultations, Daus and Iyung agree. We go buy appalling swimming trunks for myself, then to get goggles and fins at the Dept. of Biology of the University of Lampung, where we also pick up Ica (another student), we buy water and rose-filled biscuits, and we are off. We reach a small promontory closed to the public, we lie that we are there to do research for the University, Daus goes to pray and change shirt and we are ready. Except that the two are fully dressed. I ask if I can take off my t-shirt. Once in the water, Daus, with his resigned smile tells me that to obey the rules he cannot show his body from below the knees to the navel – especially if there is a girl. Once in deeper water he can take them off, and asks Iyung to bring them back and hang them on a pole in the middle of the sea (he cannot stand up to do it, eheh, he would expose himself!). The fun part comes when Iyung, cold, comes out of the water first, and Daus has to retrieve the pants by himself. I expected delicate discretion on the part of his friends – "especially the girl" – instead the whole sequence has been documented with pictures.

No comments: